Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Writing Process


  1. After reading pages 46 and 47 in A Student's Guide to First-Year Writing I realized I was a combination of a Heavy Reviser and a Procrastinator.  I sometimes write a ton of notes about my topic I am writing about, especially when I find several credible sources with plenty of information for me to use. However, there have been numerous times when I put off starting or finishing my paper until the night or morning it is due because  I am just too lazy to complete my paper.  
  2. My writing process often includes jotting down notes about specific pieces of information I find interesting to write about in a particular paper. This makes it easier for me to write the first draft of a paper. I spend most of my time revising my first drafts and usually cut out numerous sentences or fragments in the process. I also look back at the information I gathered and revise sentences so they make sense within a paragraph. When I have other assignments due around the same time my papers are due, I tend to hold off on starting or completing my papers. I am known for being a procrastinator when it comes to writing because I can be lazy, especially when I do not like the writing prompt/topic. 
  3. Receiving feedback from my peers and teachers has helped my revision process because I understand what I need to improve in my papers. I believe that revising my essays is a great strength I have in my writing process because I have always received better grades after carefully revising my work. On the other hand, procrastination has been a weakness in my writing because I do not work well under pressure or being in a rush. 
  4. I think it would be beneficial to my writing if I tried a different approach such as carefully planning what I will write in my essays. Rather than jumbling a bunch of notes on paper, I can plan specific paragraphs or outlines for my papers. This might also help me to have less writer's block moments when I write. 
    C, Haley "Procrastination Station" 08/07/2012 via Flickr
    Attribution-NonCommercial

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Selena. Thank you for sharing your process with us!

    ReplyDelete