Thursday, July 30, 2015

Clarity, Part 1

1. Parallel ideas116
2. Mixed constructions 123
3. Shifts 135
4. Wordy sentences 156

One of the clarity topics I chose is parallel ideas because I honestly did not know much about these ideas. I have learned that I can balance out sentences by using the same noun series and verb series. I did not know that it made such a large impact on writing. Mixed constructions is another topic I found vey helpful for my writing. One important thing I learned in this chapter is how to revise sentences with a faulty predication, or when the subject and the predicate do not make sense. I notice that I tend to switch the point of view in my writing. By reading the chapter on shifts I have learned some important tips on how to keep one point of view in my writing. Another important topic that will help with my writing is wordy sentences. It is important to get rid of redundancies in your sentences/paragraphs because it helps the flow of your writing. I hope I will be able to revise my writing now that I know more about these four topics.

Go back to your “Clarity, Part 1” blog post and edit the post. Under “Reflection” briefly discuss what more you learned about your four Clarity topics while peer reviewing your classmate’s drafts. Copy and paste at least one example sentence from each of your classmate’s drafts as examples and evidence in your discussion.
Reflection:

After peer reviewing my classmate's drafts, I have learned that sentences may make sense to the person writing them, but it does not make sense to someone else. For example, Aaron said "Students who weren’t even working for NASA were also being affected which helped Overbye confront a part of his audience that they might eventually be affected as well." This is an example of mixed conjunctions. An example of wordy sentences is in Brittany's paper where she mentions: "By bolding the pros and cons and by making the different types of schools available in a different color from the rest of the text the reader can visually see benefits of each school type without having to read the full article."



No comments:

Post a Comment