Wednesday, July 15, 2015

My Field of Study- FSHD


  • In the Family Studies and Human Development major students learn how to work with people. They learn how to help families improve their relationships and how different family situations affect adolescents, for example divorce. Depending on their specific area of study, students may learn more about child or parent phycology, criminal justice and/or law, research, and behavioral sciences. 
  • With a degree in Family Studies and Human Development, people can choose to work in  human services, social work, social policy, public health, medicine, and even criminal justice/law. 
  • Before I started college, I had my mind set on pursuing a degree in Veterinary Sciences, however after taking science courses, I realized that science was not my strong suit. I worked at a Boys and Girls Club in my hometown for a couple years and worked at a Tucson branch for a few months. I decided that I loved working with children and wanted to pursue a career helping them. After I finished my second semester at the University of Arizona, I changed my major from Veterinary Sciences to Family Studies and Human Development. 
  • One non-profit that I consider to be an exciting organization related to my field of study is the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. I was a member of the Boys and Girls Club of Bisbee for approximately 7 years and worked there for several. There were times where I needed to speak to a staff member or coordinator about problems I had at home and school. I continue to visit my Club whenever I get the chance and I know that the employees care about the children and continue to help them with their problems that occur at home or at school. 
  • One leading scholarly journal in my field is Interdisciplinary and Innovative Approaches to Strengthening Family and Individual Resilience: An Introduction to the Special Issue, published in Family Relations Volume 64, Issue 1. The second journal I found to be a leading scholarly work is Community Reactions to Young People Who Have Sexually Abused and Their Families: A Shotgun Blast, Not a Rifle Shot which was published in Children & Society Volume 29, Issue 4. Another scholarly journal in my field is The Child Protection Clinic: A mixed method evaluation of parent legal representation published in The Children and Youth Services Review Volume 56. 

1 comment:

  1. A nice, well-rounded entry. Be sure to keep formatting clean and consistent to maintain credibility with your audience.

    ReplyDelete