Sunday, August 9, 2015

Punctuation, Part 2


  1. The Apostrophe
  2. End Punctuation
  3. Other Punctuation Marks

  1. From the chapter on apostrophes, I have learned that you should not use them on numbers or letters. I always thought you wrote numbers and letters with an apostrophe (2's, 3's, D's) but it is incorrect. I also learned that when you are showing possession of something that is not plural, it is correct to add (- 's) at the end of the word. For example I added (- 's) at the end of student in the following sentence: "On the other hand, several states in the U.S. do not require schools to have Physical Education classes or recess because physical activity is not seen as a critical part of a student's day."
  2. After reading the End Punctuation chapter, I have learned that if you are not asking a question directly, the sentence should end in a period. This is very important for me because I sometimes use question marks instead of periods when my sentence reports a question. 
  3. In the Other Punctuation Marks chapter, I learned that using  a pair of dashes like these (--) can help make certain sentences/ideas seem more important to the reader. One interesting thing I learned was that you can use brackets to indicate added words to in direct quotes. I used a pair of dashes in one of my sentences "Some of the contributing factors to childhood obesity include --  physical inactivity, unhealthy diets, and sedentary behaviors" to show the audience the importance of these factors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment