Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Considering Types

I am considering the following argument types for my project: Position Argument, Casual Argument or Proposal Argument. In a Position Argument, you are defending a specific idea/ position and then developing "your own defenses of this position" (WPL 414). This would be a good choice to use for my argument because I can defend my side of the issue by using my own defenses. The Casual Argument would fit my project because it "introduces your audience to the causes of a specific problem" (WPL 414). If I used this argument, I would introduce my audience to the problems of childhood obesity and then discuss several different solutions to this problem. A Proposal Argument would also fit my project because it "analyzes a particular problem and then develops a proposal for addressing the problem in its thesis" (WPL 414). If I chose this argument, my presentation would include different solutions to the issue along with a thesis. I want to be able to discuss solutions to the childhood obesity epidemic, and I believe that either of these arguments will allow me to do just that!

Arguments that won't work for my project include:  Evaluative Argument and Refutation Argument. In the Evaluative Argument, it "evaluates the successfulness of a specific policy, idea, solution to a problem, etc." (WPL 414). I do not believe that I could argue on successes of childhood obesity because it is still a major issue in schools across the country. The Refutation Argument is supposed to refute, or contradict, "an idea, opinion, or argument of another person or group" (WPL 414). I believe that by using a contradiction of an argument about my issue, I will not be able to convince my audience as well as I would be able to with the three arguments I mentioned above. I personally would not want to read a refute about a specific issue because it would not convince me to take action on the issue, which is what I am trying to achieve in my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment